FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here you will find the answers to the questions most frequently asked about our organization. Please call us or email us if you need more information.
Download the PDF (January 2019)
A Veteran must be approved for the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) benefits by the Veterans Administration. These benefits are provided to Veterans with severe physical injuries, which may include one or more amputations, full or partial paralysis, and severe traumatic brain injury (TBI). For more information about the VA Specially Adapted Housing program, please visit the VA website at the following link: http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/adaptedhousing.asp.As part of the Veteran’s review, HFOT conducts a criminal background check and a financial review to include the last three years of taxes, as well as banking, income, and outstanding debt information. Additionally, we conduct our final interview and assessment during the Veterans Conference that we host in Massachusetts.
Basic qualifying criteria for Veterans is as follows:
- Injured in the theater of Iraq-Afghanistan war, post 9/11/01.
- Retired or in the process of retiring from military service.
- Received letter of eligibility for the VA Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) program.
- Pass a criminal and credit background check.
- The HFOT home must be the primary residence. Veterans must accept the responsibility of home ownership, and have the resources to maintain a home, including ongoing maintenance and upkeep, property taxes, home insurance, and utilities etc.
- The Veteran or a representative for the Veteran completes an online Inquiry Form that can be found at the following link: https://www.hfotusa.org/inquiry
- Veterans meeting the criteria outlined in the previous section will be contacted by a member of our Intake Department by telephone for initial screening. If the Veteran is not able to participate in this initial screening for medical reasons, a representative for the Veteran may complete the initial intake screening on the Veteran’s behalf.
- The Veteran submits a copy of his or her VA Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant letter of eligibility. Upon receipt of this SAH letter, the HFOT Intake Department will provide the HFOT New Home Application to the Veteran.
- The Veteran submits a complete HFOT New Home Application along with all requested attachments.
- The Application is reviewed by the Veterans Selection Committee (VSC). The VSC approves or disapproves applications, and HFOT invites approved Veterans to the final step in the application process, the Veterans Informational Conference.
- If selected, the Veteran and a guest will attend a Veterans Informational Conference in Massachusetts.
- Within 7 business days of the Veterans Informational Conference the Veteran will be notified by the Selection Committee whether or not they are accepted into the program.
therefore, we stay with our Veterans after home delivery. Homes For Our Troops provides a pro-bono financial planner for three years to assist in
financial planning and household budgeting, in addition to homeownership education and warranty coverage to ensure that the Veteran is set up
for long-term success as a homeowner. One staff section’s sole focus is following up with our Veterans, and we also have a peer mentoring program
consisting of Veterans in the HFOT program. To improve our post home delivery support, we continue to expand our network of non-profits,
corporations, and government entities to provide assistance with employment, education, training, health, and other issues. We strive to provide
the linkage between the Veteran and the assistance he or she needs. Other differences include a comprehensive selection process, building where
the Veteran wants to live, and spending nearly 90 cents on the dollar to support the Veterans since our inception in 2004.
Homes For Our Troops selects experienced custom-home general contractors, local to the project site, to coordinate the construction of our homes in accordance with local building codes and requirements on a best-value, fixed-price basis. Our staff coordinates the delivery of top notch building materials donated by our national corporate partners to ensure each home is built to the highest of standards, providing our Veterans with a quality home that will stand the test of time and serve them well for many years to come.
You may make a donation using your credit card online (www.hfotusa.org/donate), by calling our office from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 866-787-6677, or print out a donation form and mail in a donation to our office at:
Homes for Our Troops
6 Main St.
Taunton, MA 02780.
You can also become a member of Operation Lasting Support, our monthly giving program, for as little as $10 a month.
Learn more at: www.hfotusa.org/ols.