Donate your Vehicle to support post – 9/11 injured veterans

If you have a vehicle you are thinking of trading in or selling, consider donating it to Homes For Our Troops in partnership with Vehicles For Veterans that accepts most vehicles, including cars, trucks, trailers, boats and RVs.

When your donated vehicle will help support our mission to build and donate specially adapted custom homes nationwide for severely injured post-9/11 Veterans, to enable them to rebuild their lives.

Donate your vehicle in three easy steps:


Frequently asked questions:

How do I donate my vehicle?

Donate online by completing the Vehicle Donation Form, or donate by calling Vehicles For Veterans processing at 588-811-4838

I have a (RV, motorcycle, boat, etc) that I want to donate, are you able to take it?

Yes, HFOT is able to accept a wide variety of different types of vehicles. You can donate:

  • Any type of car or van
  • Boats
  • RVs
  • Motorcycles
  • ATVs
  • Golf Carts
  • Scooters

My car is not drivable, am I still able to donate it?

Yes, we can still accept it for donation! It can just be towed from wherever you have it located. However, if the condition and tow cost will result in more than the car’s value, Vehicles For Veterans reserves the right to decline the donation.

What paperwork do I need to donate my car?

In most cases, you need the generic information about the car (make, model, VIN, etc) as well as the title. If you do not have the title, you may be able to get a replacement title or fill out some additional paperwork. Our partner organization, Vehicles For Veterans, handles the actual picking up of the car and selling it, will be able to answer any in-depth questions you may have about the donation process.

Is my donation tax deductible?

Yes! Homes For Our Troops is classified with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Because individual tax situations vary, please check with a tax professional to determine what, if any, tax benefit you may receive from your donation.

Will I receive any tax information when I donate my car?

Yes, our partner organization (Vehicles For Veterans) will provide you with the necessary tax letter regarding your donation. You will receive an initial letter when the car is towed. You will also receive an official Thank You letter for your vehicle donation – to be used for tax purposes. Only if your vehicle sells for over $500, do you receive the IRS form 1098c for you to claim the selling price as your tax deduction.

This process can sometimes take a few weeks or even a few months.

I donated my car X months/weeks ago and I still have not received a tax letter?

Thank you so much for your donation. We are sorry to hear you have not received the necessary paperwork. Our partner organization (Vehicles For Veterans) is responsible for providing you with the necessary tax paperwork regarding your donation. They were the ones you initially worked with to set up the donation and towing. You should have received an initial letter when the car is towed, which can be used for tax purposes until the car is officially sold at auction. The selling process can take a little while, which might be why you have not yet received a follow-up letter. Vehicles For Veterans will be happy to re-send you the initial letter and let you know where your car is in the selling process. Please call 588-811-4838.

Additional questions?

For additional information, call Vehicles For Veterans processing center at 588-811-4838.


Click here for other Ways To Support Our Mission