Who We Serve
Homes for Our Troops (HFOT) provides assistance to the most severely injured service members nationwide who have been injured since September 11, 2001 by providing them with mortgage-free, specially adapted homes. Most of the Veterans we serve have sustained injuries that include multiple amputations, full or partial paralysis, and severe traumatic brain injury (TBI). HFOT serves all branches of the military who meet our criteria, outlined as follows:
The Veteran must be approved for the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant from the Veterans Administration. The grant is awarded to severely injured Veterans based on the level of injury. The Veteran applies to Homes for Our Troops (HFOT), and must meet the following requirements:
- The Veteran was injured in combat or in support of combat operations “in theater,” meaning while deployed overseas in the theater of war.
- The injuries must have been sustained after Sept 11, 2001.
- The Veteran must be retired or in the retirement process.
- The home is to be used as the primary residence of the Veteran.
- The Veteran passes a criminal and credit background check.
These specialized homes go beyond ADA compliance. They feature single-level, open floor plans, roll-in showers, roll-under countertops, cook tops, and sinks, and other standard accessibility items. Depending on the severity of the injured sustained by the Veteran, the homes may also include such specialized items as lift systems, keyless door entry, and voice-activation controls.
Homes for Our Troops builds these homes in the area the Veteran chooses to live. To see information on the homes we have built nationwide or our active build projects for severely injured Veterans, please view our interactive map.
Sign Up for Updates:
Thank you for signing up!
Connect With Us: