Title: Construction Operations Manager
Reports To: Director of Construction Operations
Status: Full-time, Exempt
The Construction Operations Manager oversees all aspects of new home construction and delivery, nationwide. Leads a 6-7 person team responsible for General Contractor procurement, construction management, home design, warranty support, and budget development and management. Assists in developing and executing a multi-year building plan and associated budget, and in developing and executing an industry leading quality control and quality assurance program. Responsible for identifying best practices and challenges, and ensuring dissemination to all construction managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Program Manager responsible for General Contractor (GC) Procurement, Construction Management and House Plan Development. Supports other departments to ensure that all procedures and policies are adhered to and that all goals and objectives are met.
- Coordinate with the Land Acquisition Manager, Veteran Support Manager and the Corporate Sponsorship Account Manager to ensure smooth progression of home builds to stay on schedule and cost, without sacrificing quality.
- Work with Contract Specialist to interview all General Contractors, negotiate terms and award all contracts within budget. Review all contracts with builders for schedule, standards, and cost.
- Manage the Construction Management team to ensure that all jobs stay on schedule and budget, and satisfy all quality standards, Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) and VA compliancy, Energy Star certification standards, and proper close-out.
- Coordinate the scheduling of all event dates with Community Engagement and Veteran Support teams. Drive construction to completion in order to meet the requirements of those event dates.
- Facilitate the smooth transition between Land and Construction teams when new land parcels are purchased. Manage schedules to accomplish tasks concurrently where feasible.
- Manage the CAD Specialist to ensure that all plan modifications are approved, implemented and tracked, and that all CAD requests are properly prioritized.
- Develop and manage multi-year construction budgets. Develop and implement cost controls to minimize costs.
- Provide weekly reporting and projections as needed.
- Maintain strong working relationships with all team members (internal and external) and resolve all issues and conflicts as necessary.
- Provide technical assistance and support to the Veteran Support team, and assist with warranty issues and claims.
- Coordinate with the Corporate Sponsorship team to manage material logistics and new products considered for use in an HFOT home. Ensure smooth integration of corporate sponsor products into build schedules.
- Facilitate open communication, and exchange of ideas and best practices with Construction Managers and HFOT leadership.
- Conduct reviews with all General Contractors at the completion of every project to identity and implement best practices and systemic areas for improvement.
- Guide, train and mentor all team members.
- Review and fully understand all Construction Operations SOPs, and publish modifications and enhancements as necessary.
- Continually engage in position relevant self-education/skills improvement.
- Other duties as required.
- Compatibility with the HFOT culture: HFOT is a dedicated, loyal, and cohesive team, led by skilled and versatile leaders, focused on excellence, ethical conduct and the quality of the services we provide.
- High competency in residential home building, land development, contract negotiations, relationship management, conflict resolution, organization, and problem solving required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business or equivalent education, plus a minimum of 10 years of residential construction experience required.
- Minimum five years of experience leading teams, departments or organizations.
- Proven track record of managing multiple projects and teams to deliver successful outcomes.
- Experience successfully managing multiple projects across a broad geographic area preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure and coordinate numerous activities and groups of people to maximize effectiveness and efficiency.
- Must be able to handle multiple and changing priorities with a positive, professional, flexible “can-do” attitude.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter; creative problem solver.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Advanced experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer) and various database applications.
- Must be able to travel nationwide to inspect construction projects.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with trips to job sites, typically outside of New England, to assess and manage construction progress.
- Travel and overnight trips, generally monthly, outside the local area and state to home building sites around the country to verify quality control and quality assurance of homes, and to conduct on site engagement with builders and suppliers.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Commensurate with experience.
Homes For Our Troops offers Full Time employees a superior benefits package including Medical and Dental Plans, a 401k Plan with an employer match, Paid Holidays, Vacation/Sick Time, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance and Company Apparel. HFOT contributes up to 80% of Full Time employees’ Medical and Dental premium costs.
In addition to our excellent benefits package, HFOT offers a flexible work schedule. Generally, employees spend about 50% of their time working in the HFOT office and about 50% of their time working from home after 90 days of employment, if the employee’s role and job responsibilities are suited to such an arrangement.
- Location: 6 Main Street, Taunton, MA 02780
- Web Site: https://www.hfotusa.org
Equal Opportunity Employer
Homes For Our Troops, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to sex, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, parental status, marital status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or any other status protected by law.